Sharing my life with you, is what I do.

Monday, August 26, 2013

Today I was Inspired....

I recently re-connected with a  guy who went to high school with my brother. They played in the band together back then and I hadn't seen him for over 20 years. I came across his profile on my brother's facebook page and sent him a friend request(or he sent me one). I don't remember. Anyway, he was dealing with his father being terminally ill at the time and he was writing about the experience. I found myself entranced by the words he was posting about his father's last days. I cried the day he posted about his father's transition. I visualized every syllable. They touched my very soul and I wished that I could somehow be a comfort for him during this time of great pain for him. Little did I know that his words would play again in my head and be a comfort to me months later as my own father made his transition after his battle with Leukemia.

Since those days, my friendship with Brian and his wife, Mira has blossomed. And, my husband and I have had the pleasure to spend some time with this lovely couple and really become closer. We have found out that we have a lot of things in common. reconnecting had been a godsend.  Brian started running and biking after his father's death. He would post his distance and I would watch it get longer and longer. He would talk about getting ready to run his 1st Triathlon and I would think, "Wow, that is a huge undertaking for someone that just started to run". But, I hadn't been around Brian in a long time so I had no idea that when he says he will do something, he does it.

Brian completed that Triathlon today and while he says it didn't go well, to me just the fact that he said he was going to even do it and actually accomplished it, is nothing shy of amazing!! It got me to thinking about the things I still want to accomplish. None of them is as grueling or physically demanding as doing a triathlon. I would be happy just to stay on my treadclimber for 15 mins without feeling like I am gong to die. My list is more along the lines of, places I want to go. Finally getting a large speaking role in a major motion picture. Moving out of Chicago, and  finally being fluent in Spanish. Looks, like my focus will be on hablando en Espanol. Not that I am giving up on those other things. Getting better in speaking Spanish just seems like something I can truly shoot for right now. Or it probably the thing that brings me the least anxiety. But, Brian had me thinking for a moment that I could do anything. ANYTHING! I could live the life I see in my dreams. I could get that major acting gig. I could make enough money to buy that fabulous house and travel with my family around the world.  If I switched my focus from just dreaming to actually putting forth the actions needed to make those goals and dreams come true. Brian could have put the word "triathlon" on his bucket list and looked at it every day. But, he didn't. He said, " I am going to compete in a triathlon". And then he got off the couch and put into action the necessary steps to reach his goal.

Yes, today I was inspired. To not just dream, but to manifest.

I sincerely hope it lasts longer than my resolve to stop eating fried foods. That hasn't been very successful . But, I have to start somewhere, right?

Pray for me. 

2 comments:

  1. I love your writing baby sister. Your truly heartfelt sentiment brought tears to my eyes. To be an inspiration to anyone is, well, inspirational.

    Personally, I was most inspired by the people in wheelchairs completing the triathlon. That was AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure it did. Puts a lot on my mind when I think I "can't" do something.

    ReplyDelete