Sharing my life with you, is what I do.

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Eight is way too much!



Okay, I named the title of the blog, 8 is way too much because my sons came home with a letter from their school yesterday asking us to vote on whether adding 30 mins to the school day would disrupt our family's schedule negatively. Heck yeah it would! My boys are already in school for 7 1/2 hours a day as it is. I think that our school system is trying to make up for its' lack of creativity and strong curriculum by just having the children stay in school all day and pretend they are learning more. My boys have come home on many a day saying how they spent the last hour or more in their classrooms doing nothing. And, now you want to add 30 MORE mins. to their day? I could see if they were taking violin or piano lessons or having an Art class or even a real lunch break. How do you spend 7 and a half hours in school and have a 20 minute lunch break? Highschools at least have a 50 min break. I agonized about putting my sons back in school after homeschooling the older one for 3 years. I was thrilled that they adjusted so well to going back to school.  Now, it looks as though they may be coming back home. I just can't subject them to a longer school day when I know it will not be time spent on really educating them.Quality is so much more important than quantity.

No comments:

Post a Comment