Sharing my life with you, is what I do.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

I solemnly swear...

Today was my 1st encounter with jury duty. We were told to report at 9 a.m. and that we would at the latest we would be dismissed by 4:30p.m.....nope. By 6:45p.m., we were still in the courtroom. We were all so frustrated and ready to go home. Luckily, I didn't get picked. It was a big change of pace for me.  Me being a homeschooling mom, I rarely leave my house unless I have the boys in tow and we are going on a field trip or shopping, etc... I haven't been on public transportation to travel downtown in 20 years. While my jury experience might have been grueling, I needed to do it. I needed to get out on my own again and do something. Even something as tedious as this. I felt alive. I was back out in the world talking to people I didn't know and truly enjoying it. I had lunch and wondered what the other people that passed me were like. I made up stories about their lives and caught myself laughing out loud a couple of times. Away from the safety of my four walls, I realized that, I have become a prisoner in my own mind. I have in a sense, shut down a part of me and said that it was for the sake of my children. I crippled the part of me that was adventurous and that used to travel and discover stuff. Now, I make sure it is something I can do with the boys. Who, by the way had a lovely time while I was gone. Their wonderful dad made homemade taffy apples with them and they even built a small entertainment center to hold their game console. They were so proud of themselves.I was proud too. I was also mourning the person that I used to be and wondering when I lost her. After everything is said and done, I was pleased to come home and hug my boys. Say evening prayers, sing lullabies, and get goodnight hugs and kisses. Today, was a good day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment