Sharing my life with you, is what I do.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

And now he sleeps....

We awoke to the news that there were firefighters trapped in the rubble of a building where the roof had just collapsed. Our hearts sank. My husband is a member of the fire department and judging from the location mentioned on the news, he knew his company was there. He tried every number in his phone. Hoping to reach anybody that had any news. Pacing the floor, watching the TV, hands clasped in prayer. We felt relieved when we heard that all the firefighters had been rescued. But, our relief was short-lived. As my husband put on clothes to go and help out however he could, we got the call that one of the members of his firehouse had been killed. Soon after, another death was reported. By this time, my husband was already on the scene of the tragedy. I sat in silence, wiping away tears. I answered a few phone calls from family and friends hoping my husband was okay. Every time my husband goes to work, I pray for his safe return. I also pray that his entire crew gets home safe as well. They work hard and they never hesitate to put their lives on the line. This really used to bother me. I was selfish in a way. I didn't want him to fight fires and climb ladders and go into unsafe conditions for people he didn't even know. But, to be in the service of others is truly God's work.We are all connected. All created by the same divine hand. How could he or any of them, think twice about helping another in need? When it comes down to it, I wouldn't hesitate either. To the families of the firefighters that lost their lives today, I pray God's mercy on you. This is not an easy journey to have to take.Even for those of us not "related", it is still very painful. To my husband, as I watch you finally sleep after such a long, hard, sad, day. I know you are doing the work you were called to do.And you do it bravely.  I will continue to pray for you and all of the crews out there.Always hoping that all of  you make it home safely. And I know that today, home for two of you meant heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment