Sharing my life with you, is what I do.

Friday, July 6, 2012

Heat Wave of 2012


If you live in the United States, then I am sure you are aware that most of the Country is in the grips of a heat wave. Here in Chicago, we have had a entire week of over 90 degrees and the past 4 days have been in the 100's. It has been pretty uncomfortable outside, so much so that we haven't ventured out much at all. My mom has been hanging out with us to ride out this heat. Fans just won't do the trick in these extreme temps.Things have been a bit different lately. Waking up after 9 a.m. has become routine. I have watched a lot of episodes of Leave it To Beaver and The Andy Griffith Show with my mom. (Her favorites)A huge break from my HGTV and Food Network routine. And, we have dusted off the Scrabble set to pass the time.  This is the 1st time I have ever felt stir-crazy from being stuck in the house in the Summer. I am more accostumed to being trapped indoors during the winter all snuggled up with a blanket, but this is just weird to me. I am the Summer person! I am the one that cries when the leaves start to change colors because I know that Winter is coming. I am supposed to be rejoicing in the abundance of warm weather that we have had pretty much since March. But, here I sit,shades drawn, AC on Full blast. Cup of ice water near by at all times and no plans to do anything. I glance ever so often at my ipad and wince at the temps that seem to climb every hour. At last glance, it was 102 with a heat index making it feel every bit of 108! Tomorrow it is expected to only hit 95. AAAHHH! That sounds wonderful! This experience has taught me a lot. Here are a few of the things I have discovered a few things since this all began:

1. When stuck in the house, a person tends to eat more often. And it doesn't seem to matter what it is.

2. The Cleavers always dressed like they were going out on the town. And if a town like Mayberry existed today, I would move there.

3. Our 2 hour Maximum on daily video game playing is suspended until the heat goes away.

4. If you look out the window and there are no birds flying, it is probably too hot to be out there.

5. However, if you look outside and there is a Vulture flying around, you should DEFINITELY NOT go outside!

6. Ice Makers make ice extra slow on hot days. Always keep an extra bag of ice handy.

7. Ice Cream is an acceptable substitute for vegetables.

8. Moving to Arizona doesn't seem like such a good idea anymore. But, I still want to visit. (In January)

9. Last but not least. When you play Scrabble, count the tiles! We have tiles from multiple games in one box and my mother won't end the game until ALL the tiles are used! ☺ There has to be 200 tiles in there!

Stay Cool Everybody
Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment